Thursday, February 1, 2007

What a Night

Earlier this week Pequannock lost what many felt was the last vestige of an era. Vincent A. Straka died on January 29, 2007. Those fortunate enough to have him as a teacher will tell you he was the biggest ball buster there was but it was hard not to love him. It's absolutely amazing how much one man can affect you without you even realizing it. For the past three years I have been calling people barbarians left and right for yawning without covering their mouths and I didn't even realize it. So if you didn't have the privilege of attending a class of his then let him teach you still yet in death.

Mr. Straka was as tough as they come and he firmly believed that if he were soft on kids than that's what you would raise; a weak generation. Straka worked until the day he died and he will never know how much he did. Just weeks ago he was still roaming the halls of PTHS sick as anything but that didn't stop him. His sickness may have been getting stronger, but no one can say he was weak. Now that he is gone, I am left with nothing but regret that I didn't make him aware how much a difference he made. So tonight as I bid Uncle Vinny farewell I remind all of you that life goes by too fast. Don't let yourself miss an opportunity. "It's better to rush upon this blade, than give into the fear in your heart."

Goodbye Straka, we all thank you for a life of hard work. I'm sorry you never enjoyed a retirement but your life meant something whether you realized it or not. You only taught me nine short months but I'll keep you with me the rest of my life

Christopher

No comments: